Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Winds and the Mountains - Hunnasgiriya

I had another whooping holiday and a photo shoot at Hunnasgiriya last week end. It was my second visit this year to that area and I’am totally loving it. It’s the wind season on the hill country and the rain which drops from time to time is chased away promptly. The clouds move faster than jets and it’s an awesome site to see. We used to stand on a lake bank and face and challenge the wind to stand straight. ( Well now u can imagine how powerful the winds can be out there)

It’s amazing how the trees cope up with the wind that strong as that much and it completely sounds like in horror movies. Amidst the heavy winds in the day and the heavy fog in the evening and rains in the nights me and my buddies managed to trek around 10-15 km on nature trails. Twice to the mini worlds and once to the Forest department camping site area and another steep trail down the mountains along the jungle.

We visited a village which is at the bottom of the mountain ranges named Kandegama but failed to visit Meemure. The beauty of that are stunned me once again and its heaven for a photographer. A 360 degree panoramic view of the mountains blew me away but unfortunately couldn’t do a panorama shot due to the heavy wind. We didn’t see much of wild life except for some rare horned lizard and some butterflies and bugs. Since I was using my new canon and I’am still not equipped with a good macro lens I was not much interested in macro shots. But gathered some awesome landscape and life style images out there.

We lodged at the forest department’s Deanston research center and it’s a hot spot which in the middle of most of the visit worth places around the area. Well my next get away is already planned at its gonna be at the same area but different location. I still have few more trails to cover and places to shoot. So next 8th to 10th I’ll be at the Hunnasgiriya forest departments camping site 1.8 km away from the Hunnas—Meemure road in the isolation of the thick forest.

No comments: